Thursday, May 10, 2012

Voice On The Other End Of The Line

Finally it's the most awaited time of the most awaited day of the week; Thursday evening. I've always loved the feeling that creeps into me when I step out of office on a Thursday evening. I know that I have a holiday the next day which means I don't have to wake up to an alarm.Moreover I can stay up late into the night doing whatever I enjoy - reading my books, watching a movie, writing...

Off late there has been another something that makes me look forward to the weekends; I get to use dad's room. Though I do enjoy being around a few people my growing years as a single child and my six year stint staying alone has taught me to value my own company. I stay with my parents and so I cherish the quality time that I get alone. In addition, I've made a new friend, a phone pal. We've never really met up; infact when we started talking online I thought I was talking to someone I knew from college. Almost a week of type chatting and I realised that it was not the person I thought it had been all this while. That was one weird moment because I figured I had been talking to someone I apparently know but don't remember knowing!

Did we start off on a good note? Hm-mm, not really. I'm pessimistic in my approach to most things and so I don't trust people that easily; or at least I choose to believe that I don't. My first reaction to the 'call of friendship' was a skeptical one. You never know these days; no one be friends no one without an ulterior motive. That said I won't deny that we did have an interesting first conversation and a second one and another one after that....

We've had many dialogues over the phone since then. Clearly we both find each other intellectually stimulating enough to make us want to get in touch the next time. All said and done, I can't help but wonder if I'd enjoy the company of my phone pal in person as much as I enjoy the company of that voice on the other end of the line. It reminds me of the Bollywood film 'Jhoota Hi Sahi' that I watched sometime back. The female lead in the movie is depressed with her life and on the verge of ending it when she makes a final call to a counseling helpline. A freak cross connection puts her online with the male lead who eventually talks her out of her suicide intention. A series of conversations ensue which make the former trust the voice on the other end of the line and she names him 'fidato' which means 'trustworthy'.

There is no depression, suicide or anything negative here; just all the fun of talking to a voice; a voice that amidst all the doubts seems to beckon to trust; a 'fidato' voice on the other end of the line!

No comments:

Post a Comment