Friday, November 5, 2010

My girl Maya...


She walked into my life, with her laughter and her song;
She changed the person I was all along;
Every moment we spent together was as sweet as the notes of the lyre;
My pride and an extension of my womanhood- my girl Maya.

...and all of a sudden the noise in the ward gave way to deafening silence and my pain, it gave way to a state of higher emotion. All I could feel was nothing and all I could see was a tiny bundle wrapped in a white piece of cloth stained crimson red. She fit so perfectly into my arms, like she was meant to be there all along. I looked at her and smiled. 

She wrapped her tiny hand around my fore finger. Struggling to hold her head up she ultimately gave in and rested it on my palm. My lazy finger drew circles on her cheeks. Feeling ticklish she moved slightly. Maya wasn't exactly fair, her skin delicate and pinkish. I smiled to myself imagining the dark complexioned beauty she'd grow up to be. Suddenly she yawned, the milky odour made my nose tingle. No matter how widely her mouth opened, it was still so tiny. I caught her smile in her peaceful slumber. I wondered if she was playing in His garden right now. She smiled like an angel exposing her pink naked gums. A tear drop danced on the rim of my eye and slid down my cheek.

I tilted my head backwards and rested it on the pink nursery wall behind me. I felt her lips against my skin. She depended on me for everything. Her helplessness tugged at my motherhood. Though I enjoyed my new role, I thought of how I would raise her to be an independent woman, beautiful and powerful. Maya would create an identity for herself. She would never struggle to fit in. Right from her first steps she would forge ahead in life with freedom. A freedom that is born out of confidence. A confidence that stems from her trust in Him. In Him she would take her first steps. 

I reached out to the glass of water on the bed side table. I jolted forward and the water made a small puddle making the brown of the wood appear a hue darker...Vehicles were honking and the passengers in the bus chit chatting their way through the bright sunny day. I rubbed my eyes and tugged at my shawl. My watch told me I had rested for a good twenty minutes. I was happy I had had the dream. I saw my stop approaching. I quickly got up and moved towards the door. As I moved out of my seat I noticed a puddle of water. It made the green leather of the bus seat appear a hue darker than it was. I quietly  smiled to myself and descended down the metal stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment