Monday, August 6, 2012

One Line

Browsing through my #Twitter (Oh! Pardon the hashtag, which by the way was once better known as octothorpe) TL (Timeline) I found an interesting link by @PenguinIndia. It's the link to a guest-post on their blog where the guest-author speaks of how 'one line' can sometimes change one's world forever and by drastic proportions. It could be something one reads or something one is told...

On reaching the end of the blog post I found myself doing what Aakash (Amir Khan's character) does in 'Dil Chahta Hai' immediately after the opera; I closed my eyes and went on a flash'bike' ride, frantically searching for that 'one line' that may have altered my world at some point.Though I can't remember the 'one line' verbatim what I do recall is that it was a series of conversations with one of my college professors that may have influenced my decision to start  my blog: Cuppa, two years ago.

I had had a tryst with writing before Cuppa though, they were brief stints that I didn't take seriously enough. While in school, there were those one off poems that I'd write on loose pieces of paper or on the last pages of old note books; then there was that relatively systematicncontribution of two short pieces and a poem to the youth section of a local daily. In college there was the writing that I did for the numerous public speaking competitions I had participated in, coupled with a few diary entries. None of this though made me feel like an aspirant writer until that one day in October of 2010. Like most of my decisions, this too was spontaneous. What started as a one off post today stands at over 100 articles and a substantial number of unfinished ones which I haven't put on the record.

I wouldn't call myself a writer just as yet because I feel that I've got 'miles to go before I sleep'. That said, it's what I'd call a good start. This one off incident, so well-planned by Him helped me discover a side of me that I always knew existed but never nurtured. We all have certain things that make us, us and doing those things gives our lives meaning. Writing, for me is that 'thing'. It makes me become more of myself each day.

We all have a purpose to fulfill in our lives and discovering what defines us is instrumental to fulfilling this purpose. I believe that in His time every human being is confronted by that 'one line' which alters one's  life to an extent that one is rendered prepared to embark upon the 'journey of fulfillment'; not for onesself alone but also for others; to make this world a better place.. in my case, one word at a time.

Link:
http://penguinindia25.tumblr.com/post/28822164784/dont-you-think-its-time-by-our-guest-blogger-ashraf

2 comments:

  1. You still use Opera? You do know that they aren't being supported by other software vendors right now.

    Oh wait, i'm deviating here.

    Right, so for me it wasn't one line of someone else that changed my life. Its one line I've thought about for myself, that I draw inspiration from.

    "Life is short, so if whatever you want to do doesn't hurt anyone, try it out!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the necessary..i like your 'one line' moment :)

    ReplyDelete