Thursday, August 2, 2012

Rakhi..

Having resolved the problem of the tri coloured wires Aslam, our electrician finally shut the fuse box close. As my neighbour rummaged through her purse for a fifty rupee note Aslam inquired, "Aap raakhi nahi baandh rahe ho madam?" Smiling, she looked up and said, "Hum Hindu nahi hain." Immediately Aslam shot back, "Raksha Bandhan toh sabka tyohaar hai!"

Today is my most favourite festival, Rakhi. My fascination for this festival amazes me because I'm a single child and having never grown up with a brother it's strange that I should harbour a soft corner for Rakhi. Nevertheless I do and probably not having someone to call bhaiya in all these years makes me teary-eyed each time I think of this beautiful age old gesture. I've always wondered about the kind of person I would be if I had a little brat around; if I'd have to share my parents with someone, if I'd have to forgo the bigger piece of fish for someone, if I'd have to pull someone's hair out to get hold of the television remote...someone who would look like me, may be look up to me. Life would be very different and yes I would be very different.

Six years ago God granted my wish. I have two first cousins in Mumbai and that meant two wrists, finally! I did everything that I'd always wanted to do; peruse the endless lines of colourful rakhis in every other lane, buy Cadburys, set up the thread and chocolate on a steel plate, get my shagun...everything. Last year though I moved out of Mumbai and so today I have no wrists. That said I have a strong realisation of what it means to have a brother. It rises above the symbolic gesture of Rakhi. Today to me, having a brother means having a responsibility; having someone to love and care for; having someone to wish well for. And so I wish, and I pray that God blesses my brothers for all that they are and more..and I pledge to keep that sacred thread tied tighter than ever.

Happy Rakhi Bhaiya!

No comments:

Post a Comment